Wednesday, August 21, 2013


     Austin you have set me free. Free of self doubt, free of judgments. Free of spelling errors or silly similes. You have set me free. So let’s do this buddy. Let’s just write it all down and see where it takes us. It may not always be pretty but it’s ours. Let’s just write it all down. All of it. Everything.
                Some days all I see is death. It’s in the nursery rhymes Chloe and I sing. ‘Please don’t take my sunshine away’? Really? ‘And down will come baby, cradle and all’? Really? Not exactly the best words for a grieving mother to hear. Some days all I notice is the discolored grass. Some days all I know is I can’t smell Austin anymore. His perfect baby smell. Scent is the strongest link tied memory and I cant find his. We spent too many days in the hospital at the end and all his dirty clothes in the hamper at home smell bad….not like him. Some days Austin is all Chloe talks about, and instead of being happy he is a part of her memory I am sad she keeps asking
“Why”?
“Austin’s in heaven, Chloe.”
“ Why”?
“Because, he went to be with God.”
“Why?”
“Because it was just his time.”
“ Why?”
“I don’t know sweetheart.”
 “I want to touch him.”
“I do too honey, I do too.”
 Usually at this part of the conversation I’ll ask her to tell me what color the ball is, or ask her to sing her ABC’s, but as of recent, I sit in the heavy silence. I let it linger. I sit and I let it wash over me. Snuff the air out of my lungs. All to familiar tightening in my chest. Chloe always senses this and says
“You sad? You sad?”
“ Yeah, sometimes mom gets sad because she misses Austin, but its okay Chloe.... Austin is in our hearts”

….But my heart is broken. I have to show her healthy pain….but all I want to do is scream and smash my fists on my steering wheel. All I want to do is scream until my voice is gone and the physical euphoria of exhaustion kicks in. I want to hide and I want to throw a big middle finger up. I know I could, and no one would fault me. I let my head wild run with that thought. I swim in that thought. I push it around in my mouth. It is so close it is palatable. I can taste it. Just let it all go. Throw up the middle finger….F you world. But when I spin with that idea, all I feel is darkness. All I feel is rage. All I feel is alone. All encompassing cynical darkness. And I can’t. It’s unnatural to me. I don’t want to take a rope and lasso a rain cloud and drag it around over head….I like to golf too much. I like to swim at my dads pool too much. I like to take Chloe to the park too much, I like to sit and have a cocktail outside with my husband too much….and I can’t very well do that in the rain……Well…………I won’t do that in the rain. 

8 comments:

  1. Crystal honey:
    I am a friend of your dads, I am the one that made the blanket of the drawing of Austins cousin, I am the one who has followed every word you have written. I wanted to tell you that I cherish every word you write...your writing is so raw, so from the bottom of your heart and soul, so real. It speaks so well of the things that we all feel but no one wants to talk about...it speaks for many who are too afraid to speak for themselves, it speaks with words that someone can read and know that they are not alone with their own thoughts, it speaks from your soul where we should all be speak from if we were half as courageous as you...you are an amazing woman and your message is so powerful to so many...everytime I read something you write, no matter happy or sad, it makes me stop and think about my life goals, it makes me take an inventory of my thoughts at the moment, and every word you write I cherish and hold onto for the rest of the day..it is so powerful..and I know that I speak for many others. Thank you Crystal. You are one amazing woman!!!
    We LOVE you Crystal, Justin, Chloe and Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal~
    You don't know me, but my name is Becca & I am a friend of Jodene's. I have been following your journey; praying, smiling, crying right along with you here in Bismarck. I am so happy to see that you are doing this blog. I have been an avid follower of a number of baby loss mama's blogs (though I, myself, am not one) and the general consensus is that getting all your thoughts out, no matter how ugly or angry, is very healing. Thank you for all the sharing you have done on CaringBridge, and the sharing you plan to do here. You remind me to hug my kids a little longer & to be more patient with them when they are really pushing my buttons!
    Love & Prayers,
    Rebecca, Robert, Brady, Taylor, & Paige Lacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words are powerful and honest and inspirational, I'm so happy you decided to share them.
    xx
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal,
    We don't know each other but I'm Jared's wife (Justin's cousin) and we have been following yours and Austin's journey for almost a year. You are in our hearts and conversations almost every day. I want to say thank you. I am so sorry for this awful loss in your life but please know that you are helping others. You inspire us to be better parents and people. You inspire us to be thankful and truly appreciate what we have. That when we are having hard days, to count our blessings. You have inspired us to want to reach out and help others in any way we can, even if it just an email. You are an amazing woman and the most amazing mother. Austin is so blessed to have you as his mommy as is Chloe. You are amazing for being true to yourself and teaching your daughter even in this awful time when it would be perfectly acceptable to hide away and want to shelter her. You are amazing. Thank you for sharing your lives with us and using your experiences to change the world, because you have in so many ways. Thank you for making me a better mother.
    God bless you and you beautiful family and keep it up.
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!! This is beautiful and I look forward to reading your posts as you move through this. Meeting you and Chloe the other day touched my heart and I'm in awe of your grace. If you need anything from me, just holler. And keep keeping it real. You will touch so many. And yourself too. I just love your family (without sounding creepy).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal you are so strong and amazing. It's an honor to read your words and I'm so glad you are sharing them. Its obvious how many people have learned from you. You're an amazing mother and I'm sure some days all those little questions are hard to handle, but you go on, for Chloe, for Austin, and for you and Justin. Some days it will rain, and others the sun will shine on you. It's what you make of each day that counts. God bless you and thank you for sharing everything that you have. I have 3 sons, 13, 7, and 4 months. They older two have been driving me bonkers fighting lately, but today as I dropped them off for the first day of school, I thanked God for my healthy feisty boys. I thought of you and said a prayer to give you strength and I hope a little of the hurt in your heart eases with time. You're moving towards a new "normal". Some days will feel like you aren't making progress, others maybe a step or two back. You've learned that tomorrow is never guaranteed and you and Austin have made an impact on so many peoples lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you friend rain or shine. Austin had such a powerful effect on all of us but most of all you. This is such a powerful outlet for you to grieve, celebrate, vent, and breath. Here's to more sunny days spent with loved ones here and in heaven (and heck here's to the rainy ones too because they make the sunny days seem even better)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are such a beautiful lady Crystal.. you write with such emotion and feeling, its unreal the talent you have in writing.. your son is so proud of you.. I bet he is in Heaven looking down and saying Mommy don't cry I'm so happy, I miss you so much but I'm so happy ,, no more pain.. What you are feeling is so normal, I pray for you so you can heal. You are so lucky you have a little Chloe and an loving Hubby to share all your pain with. You are not alone honey.. wish I could take your pain away,, I would .. for sure.. I read your Blogs all the time, I bet it helps you to write it down the anger and pain. right.. . I hope your days get brighter and that beautiful smile on your face comes back more often. thinking of you and your special little family always.. huggs and kisses Char B.

    ReplyDelete