Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A letter to God

A letter to God

As you know, our relationship is still in its early stages. With most relationships the majority of people are on their best behavior, they are polite, they show their best side. Not you and I. We began our relationship in the middle of a shit storm. I had just given birth to a very sick baby with an incurable disease that would take his life. How could this happen? I found you God, Oh, I found you. Not in the beautiful angel singing, dropping to your knees and testifying kind of way, but in a rage. I needed to direct my pain and rage at you. I had nowhere else to dispense it. After all, you did this. You took my dreams and you ripped them apart. I watched my husbands beautiful, youthful heart break right in front of my bloodshot eyes. You hurt my child. You tried to give me signs, always. Some days, I pretended not to see them just to spite you. So your signs became more dramatic. Such as the one below...this was the view from the ICU. Visible sign says "Heaven"
You must know me, I need it in my face. I wasn't able to chalk up these signs to coincidences any longer. You made it too clear. You made it clear you were here, and you weren't going anywhere, no matter the volume of venom I spewed at you. A short time passed and in between the panic, seizures and glaucoma surgeries, Austin had his first smile. This was his first smile.
He developed a personality. He knew who we were, he did cute baby things, he loved us and we felt it.......


. and my sharp edges of rage blurred. Would I have been so excited about all these things if he wasn't sick? Probably not. When you have the basics taken from you. (water, shelter, a healthy child) It is so much sweeter when you get it back. Every single thing Austin did was amazing. The doctors continued to paint a gloomy yet "realistic" picture, Austin continued to shine through. Here God, is where I began to see your work.
Someday I will share with everyone else all the signs you  have given me, and continue to give me. Most will not believe, but I don't care. A spiritually journey is an understatement. How can our relationship (376 days of Austin's life + the 42 days since he has passed) feel so much in fast-forward? I feel like we have been through so much in such as short time........But..... we are still together.......I am not sure we are BFFs yet, but Austin wants me to learn to let go and trust you. So thats what I will continue to try to do.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal- your words are beautiful and your testimony is absolutely raw, honest and inspiring. I believe you have seen and heard God's signs. :) I continue to pray for you Crystal and that God continues to give you signs. Thank you for letting us in on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,
    I found your blog from caring bridge, which I found because there was a poster from Austin's benefit last December hanging on my group of mailboxes. The poster has been there for a long time, and we lost (and found) our cat a few days ago, so I was putting posters up. I've noticed that poster many many times and only read it today. I think it stayed up there for a reason.

    Thanks so much for sharing your story and being so open and honest about your relationship with God. Your writing is beautiful and you are absolutely right that there is a purpose for your blog. I'm exploring the exact same thing. I lost my son on June 11th. He was stillborn at 35 weeks. I started a blog: http://www.airplanesfromheaven.com and am still discerning what God wants me to do with it.

    I can't possibly imagine what you went through and I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm so glad that you have opened up to God and He has responded to your plea. I have times of anger with Him as well, but the fact is that I will meet my son again one day because of God, so I have to find a way to forgive and accept. It's hard, but it's ok to be mad at God, He can take it ;).

    Thanks again for sharing - I hope to see where your blog takes you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete